Three Times A Day

 There are many things I did not consider when I decided to become a parent. Yeah I am one of those people who actually decided. I didn't have an oopsie and then just grin and bear it. I really had intellectual conversations about whether or not I wanted to be a parent and then about the best ways to go about being the best parent EVER. I took classes, interviewed other parents, and generally approached becoming a parent the way I had approached everything else in life.

There was some things I did not consider.

1 Kids like to eat. Like three times a day, EVERY DAY. In fact if they are not eating there is somethign wrong and one of the other things I didn't consider may occur.

2. I don't really like to cook. I like food. I just really didn't spend a ton of time considering that my college degree should have been a culinary degree because I would be spending the next 20 years of my life cooking.

3. Vomit and diarrhea. Frankly vomit is something I really only thought about happening in the bath room like diarrhea. NOPE when kids are involved both of those will occur and the worst possible moment. Sometimes simultaneously. Sometimes they create a chain reaction amongst all the others around you. We
one time got 20 people to vomit all at the same restaurant thanks to Airborne and a chocolate milk geyser that issued forth from his mouth at a restaurant during the dinner rush.

4. Kids, like dogs should not be left alone when they are mad. They will find your stuff and destroy it. Then look at you with their big eyes so you feel guilty about being mad.

5. Did I mention the 20 years of cooking three times a day?

6. You will never sleep in again. Sleep was my friend before children. I used to love to sleep til noon on Saturdays and vacations.Now I wake up at O Dark thirty every FREAKING day whether I need to or not.

7. Every part of your body will sag. It usually starts with your boobs and tummy but even your eyelids will sag for the first 6 months of their lives. I thought that I knew sleep deprivation from college. I learned a whole new level of torture when my kids were newborns.

8. You will open your mouth and your mother will come out. You will then  run to the bathroom to cry and call your mom to apologize for the horrible kid you now know you were. After the cooking thing this was what I found most disturbing.

9. It is impossible to get more than 3 people to smile and be clean at the same time if 2 or more of them are kids. Photoshop was invented for parents by parents for exactly this reason.

10. No one wants to baby sit once they walk and talk. Nope not one person. Not even grandma who suddenly has a million things to do when you want her to babysit over night. Babys yes, toddlers, preschoolers, elementary schoolers, pre teens and teens are not welcome.

So if you are considering having kids, hopefully this will help you be aware of the land mines coming.
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Comments

  1. I don't have children so I can't fully appreciate this but I've heard many of these erm, comments from my sisters in law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These stories are only a pale reflection of the truth.

      Delete
  2. Well, I have had four children, and now I have ten grandchildren, and one great grandson due in October, so I think I can relate to this Post in one way or the other. Great job of speaking your mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. YOu have been in the trenches and survived....I salute you.

      Delete
  3. Ha your vomit comment made me laugh out loud! I have 1 grand daughter and did not want her to sleep over as a baby but now she is 4 I love it. I'd rather them be able to talk and walk and be self sufficient.. no diapers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait she will come up with another way to torture you. Kids are like that. Even Grandkids

      Delete
  4. Funny! Interestingly mine doesn't talk yet but we still struggle to find sitters! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is because your friends and family know about the vomit and diarrhea.

      Delete
  5. Haha, this is funny- but one day they will get over it and hopefully be little angels! At least, that is what I am hoping for when I have kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu keep dreaming...err hoping. I will be here to comfort you.

      Delete
  6. I agree with the part where kids shouldn't be left alone when mad, the things they could do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so funny! And so true! The restaurant scene-So sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He vomited on the groceries in line at the market once. Oh the vomit stories I could tell.

      Delete
  8. Ohh the vomit stories are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed while reading this, it is all so true. I have a teenage son and he eats so much food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teen aged boys are the WORST! I swear every night around 10 it sounds like my kitchen is being mugged.

      Delete
  10. Some kids don't like eating. I have cousins who are young and their parents try so hard to make them eat and increase their appetite. Every parent is encountering problems with raising her kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest is super picky. Being a parent is not for the faint of heart.

      Delete
  11. I also weighed the pros and cons to having a child. I remember my sister telling me "are you sure?" when my husband and I were trying. Just looking at her little face made me know i made the right decision. Now I just wish people would stop asking me when #2 is coming.

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That never stops. People still ask me if I am going to "try for a girl" Like it is some kind of prize.. LOL

      Delete
  12. I can def relate to this! I have two little ones right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you are a great mom because it was planned. I love your vomit story in the restaurant. I would chalk that up as one of the most embarrassing stories. You have such great stories and I love them all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful but I think them setting the table on fire at a wedding reception was probably the worst...or mabe peeing in public? There are so many embarrassing moments to choose from.

      Delete
  14. I don't have kids but I get it! I was a nanny and the girls ate CONSTANTLY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have 5 kiddos so I definitely relate to all this lol. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a FAR better woman than I with 5. I am barely hanging in there with 2

      Delete
  16. i would love to learn how to cook but i cooking doesnt love me at all. i am a parent too loving it even though kids get grumpy and other stuff hahha i feel you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can do vomit & diarrhea when they're itty bitty. After that, well that's when I call the hubs to come clean it up because my stomach can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was nothing small about Airbornes vomit. EVER.

      Delete
  18. Your list is hilarious but oh so true!! You will forever be a changed woman for the good and the ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahaha, I would babysit my little granddaughter if she lived close by. :) Your list is hilarious (and a lot of , lot of true ). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's only funny if it is true. We laugh a lot at the ARMY

      Delete
  20. Haha I love it! My kids area ALWAYS eating too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should have troughs instead of tables.

      Delete
  21. OH my goodness! I'm glad I wasn't there for the vomit fiasco in the restaurant haha! But really-- kids are so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I hadn't been there too. I bet at least 20 people wish they had not been there. But Yes it is so worth it when they say "I love you"

      Delete
  22. Your post totally made my LOL. Don't forget hubs. He wants dinner every night too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he DOES. And gets pretty grumpy if there is nothing made

      Delete
  23. It's the cooking thing that gets me too Everything else is pretty good. Get your kids to learn how to cook... that's what I did. Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My family seems to be the opposite for #10. Everyone wants to hold and see the baby... but I must kindly take it back once it makes a peep. Once the kids are mobile then everyone wants to do things with them. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had a good chuckle reading your list... Some people remain clueless about parenting and think it's all pretty clothes and parties... Haha! Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol. I am moody when it comes to cooking. Sometimes, I like it.. sometimes - ugh, I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  27. omg.... I was aughing and feeling bad for you at the same time. Ah!! you so need a break from cooking ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Parenting. If people really knew what it was like, no one would ever have kids again! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment