Fashion Friday


The LBD

            The LBD (Little Black Dress) is a key item that every woman should have in her closet.  As we discussed last week, it was on my Top 10 list for every mommy to have.  So in order to help the moms find the perfect little black dress, I’ll give a quick and simple fit guide, again, by body type to help in making the right choice when acquiring this must have piece!

For curvy moms…

            You’ll want to by a black dress that isn’t to form hugging; the only exception to this rule is if you want to promote your curviness.  If you want to even out your body, choose a black dress that lies over the skin.  Dresses with a full skirt, flounce or a release pleat/tuck is perfect for this.  The fullness of the skirt will even out with your curvy upper body.  For neckline stick with something that maybe cuts in to the skin, so a V-neck or even a boat neck collar.  Add a slit to cut into the figure and you can call it a day!

For short moms…

            A fluid fabric is best, but be sure to mind the length, you don’t want an abundance of fabric and length.  The dress should be shorter and never stop any lower than your knee.  A princess seamed dress or anything with a detailed panel will create a strong vertical line, extending your body and making you look like you are standing taller.  Try to avoid dresses that have a visible waist seam.  This will again, dissect your body making you appear shorter.  I would advise opting for a high heel, if possible!

For broad shouldered moms…

            A dress with a sleeve is an amazing option.  Remember more skin does not equal more sex appeal in a dress.  There is something very chic and high fashion about a black dress with sleeves.  Remember we want to stick to a dress that cuts into your body, so a deep V neckline would be great.  Remember to stay away from shoulder pads and any dresses with bulky shoulders or shoulder detailing.


 For heavy armed moms…
           
            Kimono dresses work wonders for those who are uncomfortable with showing their arms!  Another option is a dress that has a loose sleeve and then tapers at the wrist.  And don’t be afraid to through a shawl or rap over a beautiful sleeveless dress if you happen to fall in love with it.

For full busted moms…

  A dress with a full skirt or a detailing that releases fabric at the bottom and adds movement is good.  The fullness below will help even out the fullness up top!  Keep any detailing light and be weary when accessorizing, steer clear from long necklaces that “get lost” in your cleavage.  Also, any dress with an open neckline will definitely help.

For tummy shy moms…

            An empire waist dress done right will be great.  Just be careful because some that have too much gathering will make you look like you’re expecting.  Trapeze dresses work wonders for moms who are tummy shy.  Stay away from anything too clingy.  Even a shift dress will do the trick.  And have fun with the neckline!

For bottom heavy moms…

            Again, dresses that are close fitting up top and then gently fall over your derriere are a good thing.  Empire waist dresses work well in this situation, as well as trapeze dresses.  On the flip side, if you want to show of your curves, you can opt for something a little tighter, just be careful how tight!

In terms of accessories, it’s a black dress, it’s the perfect palette to paint.  Feel free to take it to a chic, classic, elegant look with black shoes and pearls.  Glam it up a bit, with an adorned shoe and jewelry with more of a sparkle.  You can be adventurous and bold and pair it with a red heel and crystal adorned clutch.  Of course, depending on the occasion you can tailor it to your specific need.  And don’t be afraid to own more than just one LBD.  A little black dress goes a long way!  Well here it is mommies!  I hope you enjoy shopping for, and wearing that little black dress!

Remember if you have any questions, feel free to email us, or leave us a comment!

Comments

  1. All great ideas...now only if there was an LBD that made you look 20 lbs. lighter, that would be for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions! Yes, I will take the 20 lbs. lighter dress too!
    Courtney from vB,
    http://www.mommyladyclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel you know you look good in anything.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want every single one of them and I don't even wear dresses. Great choices. Glad I popped by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love black dresses! From Voicebok. Nina
    NinaLaZina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love little black dresses! I found a great one just after having my first baby which is still a favourite!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kristina

    www.icing-and-crumbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I'll take the LBD that makes you look 20 lbs. lighter. The "bottom heavy" dress is SO adorable and would probably work for me since I have a little extra junk in the trunk! :D

    Visiting from vB!
    Smile and Mama With Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Need you to guest-blog in August and tell me what to wear to my son's 3pm wedding. Was told cotton or linen, jewel tone. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just LOVE these Friday posts!! Although I can't see myself in a little black dress anytime soon. If I lose the 60 pounds I need to, I know where to get the guide to buying the little black dress lol!!!!


    Christina

    Visit me at Spilled Milkshake

    Visiting from voiceBoks!

    ♥ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blog--- glad I found you :) Friend from Vb and new follower

    www.prototypemama.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great suggestions!!! Nothing like the LBD!! I always love to visit your site!! Great catching up with VoiceBoks!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love every one of the LBDs!!! They are all HOT!
    Thanks for sharing. I'm dropping by from voiceBoks!
    ~Erin
    www.mynuggetsoftruth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. great info about which dress fits which body type! thanks for sharing.
    following from vb

    Dina
    www.myunentitledlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only there was a dress that combined all of those things. I fear I'm bigger than I want to be everywhere.

    Stopping by from VB. :)
    eclecticwillow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What if you are all of the above, EXCEPT lunch-lady-arms mom? Just kidding. I'm not that bad. Just kinda bad. And the be careful not to look like you're expecting thing...YEAH! It's hard when that tummy won't go back in where it's supposed to be, though, ya know?

    On a side note, in that survey or poll thingy you have above, I need a halfway button between I run a tight ship AND I'm happy if no one dies. Because when they do what I say, they don't die, and I'm happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment