Christmas Trimmings


     As the holiday's approach most of us get invited to many events, whether its work events, family functions or your child's holiday parties. It can get pretty expensive to buy a new dress for every event. So I'm going to give you some helpful tips and tricks on how to dress up that LBD (Little Black Dress) that I know you have in your closet so that you can get maximum use out of it this holiday season, and allow you to save some money on the amount of dresses you will be purchasing. I'm going to dry to break my tips down to you by key features on a dress by necklines, sleeve lengths and what kind of style aesthetic you want to achieve.

Necklines:
     V-neck: If your LBD has a v-neckline you can either take it two ways. Keep a medium length chain, weather it be a pendent, bib or statement piece. That helps fill up that space. Another option you can take is to do a longer length necklace, but remember, the longer the length the more it draws attention to your cleavage! Wear at your own risk! In terms of earrings, if you do a longer necklace stick to studs, if you do a shorter necklace you can do a larger earring but beware of over kill. Another great option is to do a huge statement earring and scratch the necklace.

     Boat Neck Collar: With this neckline I always prefer adding a longer necklace. You have such a beautiful blank palette with the neckline being so high so go for that statement necklace that you've been wanting to wear. Now, to take it in a more classic direction find a beautiful pair of studs and keep your hair up high. It will channel that Audrey Hepburn look circa “Breakfast at Tiffany's”.

     Scoop Neck: Similar to the boat neck, rounded statement necklaces can look great. Avoid doing anything too angular as I personally feel that it disrupts the fluidity of the neckline. Chandelier earrings look great with a scoop neck, but so does super long tussled hair. Another style option is to wear the hair down pair with a gorgeous stud earring with one side of the hair pulled behind the ear.

Bracelets, Bangles, and Cuffs.

     Bangles: I always love a good stacked bangle, as long as it matches the other metals you are wearing. Be mindful of bangles on long sleeved dresses, it tends to look overwhelming and too much. Stick to wearing them with three quarter or short sleeved dresses.
     Bracelets: A singular thin bracelet is probably the only acceptable item I would say yes to over a longer sleeve. Other then that, if you want to stack multiple bracelets I always say be adventurous and try stacking thicker bracelets on top of eatchother!

     Cuffs: I love a good cuff, you can make a strong statement with a good costume cuff. Or maybe keep it basic and classic with a chain link cuff.

Rings

     Cocktail Rings: If you ask any of my friends they will tell you that I am THE biggest advocate of cocktail rings. I believe they make a beautiful statement piece and are extremely wearable for any style aesthetic.

     Stacked rings: These are gaining some momentum in every day jewelry wear, the are basic thin bands, sometimes with elements like a solitary stud or studded all the way around. These are great for thinner fingers because they do take up a lot of real estate.

     Solitary stone rings: Now, a cocktail ring can have a solitary stone, but it is normally an overly stated 5 to 6 carat stone. When I say solitary stone, I normally refer to what a typical engagement ring would look like. This is great if you are gunning for a chic, simplistic look. Just make sure you add the excitement somewhere else.

     Balance: Wearing bracelets and rings is all about BALANCE. You never want the figure to look like they are over weighted on one side, like they are tipping over. Keep bracelets on one hand and ring on the other. When wearing your earrings and necklace remember, don't over do it, you don't want to make your upper body look to heavily armored!

     Shoes: Have fun with your shoes! Keep your shoes dress and color appropriate. If you have a classic cut dress, maybe a round toed or pointed toed pump is whats for you. If you have an edgier dress, go for something strappy or a great jeweled opened toed slingback! If you go with a darker accessories palette go for a bold shoe to make a statement! Try a red satin shoe with minimal jewelry or a bold metallic shoe to match your cocktail ring or clutch.

     Hand bags: In terms of picking your handbag, in my ideal world, I always recommend a matching clutch either with your shoes or accessories. I know that you are mommies, so if you have young ones with you you'll probably want to have a more spacious bag, in this instance stick to your bigger black go to bag so it doesn't take away or distract from your wonderful outfit.

I hope this helps all you mommies! I hope you have a wonderful season!

Comments

  1. Oh this makes me wish I had a LBD and some place to go! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now following you from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these ideas! I am big fan of cocktail rings. How do I become a soldier? Congrats on being vB featured member!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarita, Follow the blog on networked blogs twitter and google +, Like us on Facebook and generally STALK us. YOU are in the ARMY now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I pretty much am in love with all of these trimmings! However that stacked ring has to be my favorite; it is so beautiful!

    Lisa
    P.S. Thanks for stopping by and linking up to the Getting to Know You Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those shoes and that little clutch. Great advice =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment