Driving Along in My Automobile....



Some of the best conversations that I have with my boys happen when I am driving them to, or bring them home from, school. When they were little the car had the magic ability to get them to sleep. Now that they are older the magic has become the loosening of their lips. Airborne in particular shares information at in a staccato ad lib form that sometimes is almost impossible to keep up with. Imagine Dennis Miller style references with odd scientific facts and verbatim dialog from Myth busters.

The other day Airborne says to me " Mom do you know what the hardest Metal is?"



Me " Titanium?"
Airborne  "Nope its Tungsten. Tungsten is the hardest metal and it also has the highest melting point, so they use it in light bulbs."
Me " I thought they used carbon in light bulbs?"
Airborne "My teacher says its Tungsten."
Me "Well I am sure that Mrs Brookman wouldn't lie."
Airborne "I am hungry what do we have to eat when we get home?" And just like that we are on to a new subject. But now I am curious. So I go to Bing  to look up Tungsten. Because until that moment in the car I had never heard of Tungsten. Of course I didn't know that octopuses smell thought their eyeballs until one car trip when Airborne was sharing. Sure enough Tungsten is the hardest metal and they do use it in light bulb filaments. Silly me I know that Airborne is probably the smartest person I know. He is 10 with the knowledge of most college students at MIT. It is crazy how he soaks up information.

What he didn't tell me, and that I found infinitely more interesting, is that they make jewelry from Tungsten. Jewelry I can get into. I was surprised that there was a metal used in jewelry that I didn't know about. But it makes sense that they would use tungsten carbide to make jewelry. Tungsten Carbide rings are stronger than gold rings and will last a lifetime just like marriage should. I remember when Agent Daddy  and I got married that the pastor said the rings symbolized the unending nature of marriage. And the gold was precious and strong just as marriage should be. After about 15 years the gold had worn away until the band broke from my constant wearing of my wedding ring. Agent Daddy had to get my rings redone with more gold. So I am good for another 15 years. If only we had known about Tungsten.




Comments

  1. I love the idea of a wedding ring that lasts a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and very wise kid! I love it when the soak up knowledge like a sponge. That is the natural and healthy way. Tungsten is something new to me as well. I could have had my first wedding ring survive... Mine broke too and the second one got robbed. But we are still going strong in our infinite bond of true love.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks I think he is a keeper too. Sorry to hear that someone stole your wedding ring. Maybe you need a Tungsten band to go with your tungsten marriage. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that sense of what's said inthe car, stays in the car that we have here sometimes. Thanks for the nugget of tungsten knowledge...the more you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Car conversations are so enlightening! Kids can be so random in their comments and take me places i never knew existed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I now know more about light bulbs then I ever thought possible. Next time you come out here we're taking a little road trip. Maybe I'll learn something about insects that don't have ears :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I put you in the car with Airborne you will have a Phd in MythBusters by the time you ge home form the grocery store. LOL Thanks for dropping by Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some good conversation happens when one is driving. And experiencing that with your boy is even more fabulous. Cheers to your awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah this blog is magnificent i really like reading your articles about Driver Training. Driving expertise is polar to passing a road or skills test.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment