Hanukkah Harry

Hanukkah Harry
 Before we had children, Agent Daddy and I were intellectuals.  Because we were intellectuals, we had philosophical discussions about why parents should never lie to their kids and how to solve the world problems like hunger and parking at the mall during the Christmas season.

One of these great intellectual discussions involved Santa. Yep Santa, the Easter Bunny, and you guessed it, the tooth fairy. How can you tell your kids not to lie to you when you perpetuate lies to them? So in our great intellectual wisdom ( based entirely on theory as we had no children) we decided not to have Santa in any decorations for
Christmas. Christmas is a religious holiday and should be respected as such. At least that was our theory.

This dedication to not having Santa's in our home lasted for three whole months. Agent Daddy and I were married in October and in December his mom, my brand new mother in law, showed up on our door step with a two foot high Santa, Father Christmas looking thing, as a gift for our first Christmas. Now I may have been a new wife but I knew that telling my brand new, did I mention she has no other children, mother in law to take back her symbol of capitalism, was probably not the right way to handle the situation. I smiled and thanked her for her thoughtfulness. Then when she was gone asked Agent Daddy how exactly we could live by our intellectul principles and not alienate his mom.

Agent Daddy, who has a wisdom beyond intellectualism, stated "It is not a Santa it is a Hanukkah Harry."
"Hanukkah Harry," he told me, was "Santa's friend who delivers presents to the Jewish boys and girls." Sounded legit so I went with it.

 Every year after that we would say hello to Hanukkah Harry and discuss where he should go. Fast forward to having kids. I never really thought about the need to explain Hanukkah Harry to my kids. We still have no other Santa's in our house at Christmas. Then one day the Tech Monkey comes home from 5th grade with an F, and a giant question mark on his writing assignment.

Apparently his teacher had never heard of Hanukkah Harry and his adventures, which Agent Daddy  had told and embellished for 10 years. So when he was instructed to write a Christmas Story, Tech Monkey told one of his favorite stories about Hanukkah Harry. A story about how Santa got sick one Christmas and Hanukkah Harry stepped in on Christmas Eve to deliver presents to all the Gentile kids so Christmas would not be ruined by Santa having the flu.

The Tech Monkey was horrified to learn that Hanukkah Harry was made up and no one else had ever heard of him. At this point Agent Daddy explained to me and Tech Monkey that Hanukkah Harry was a Saturday Night Live Skit that Agent Daddy had co opted. So guess who was left to go explain to the teacher that the Tech Monkey really had done the assignment she requested. It really is not  his fault that his parents are weird.

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Comments

  1. Too funny! We are all about Santa in our house. He's everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great and funny. We have Santa on the tree and on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your Santa ever gets lonely now you can invite Hanukkah Harry over for a visit.

      Delete
  3. Clearly our idea did not save us from lying to our children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do Santa here. I liked your story about Hannukah Harry. However, I did not like that the teacher had given him an F. Even if it was a story he had heard as a kid the child is still writing. I don't know what the assignment was to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny! I tell you what, I haven't even decorated yet this year... I feel horrible about it, but we've been so busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just barely got it done our selves. Too many sick kids to want to do it before now.

      Delete
  6. I think philosophical parents are the best kind of parents. You have officially cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina. I have to laugh at myself and all the ideas I had a bout parenting before I had actually done it. LOL

      Delete
  7. OMG! Love, love, love this story. I'm giggling here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! Harry sounds a lot more interesting than Santa anyhow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahahaha lol made me laugh quite had, well at least he did do his home work lol. But i like hanukkah harry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. He has certainly become a part of the family.

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh I really needed that laugh! Hanukkah Harry is awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish we have those here too - it would be so cute and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best thing about Harry is he could be ANYONE...

      Delete
  12. My kids never really focused on Santa when they were little. It was more about the holiday for them. I always had a few gifts from Santa for them under the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Christmas, I think it's a fun time for everyone no matter what you believe in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. buwahahhaha I hope she reversed the grade! lolol We like Santa here... I think it's our last year though, little man's catching on quick. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your story! I hope that my son grows up to love the magic of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah how fun is Hanukkah Harry! A great little friend for Santa in our house :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww. Having an f for an unknown story is a bad thing for the kid. THough I believe your advocacy that CHristmas is all about the religious stuff and not about Santa. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment