Early Man

I am an educated woman. I believed that the whole male/female thing was more nurture rather than nature. But God has a sense of humor so he gave me all boys. I am not a frufy woman. I'm  really kinda of a tomboy, so I thought "GREAT this is my chance to prove that I can raise superior males. My daughters in laws will praise me for the great job I did raising these prince charmings."

In some ways I was successful. My boys wash their hands after using the restroom. They both can make their own beds and clean their own rooms. But in other ways...not so much. My first experiment with them was teaching them to sit down to go pee. I stayed home with them so my hubby would never need to know about this little gift I was giving my future daughter in laws. Well I forgot that the boys went to the rest room with Daddy when we were out on the weekends. Holy CRAP! You should have seen the look on my husbands face when he informed me that the boys HAD to stand up to pee. That if they did not they would be kicked out of the man cub club. SERIOUSLY?? What is the big deal? I mean my way no one would ever have to sit in someone else's pee because the boys were too lazy to lift the seat? But anyway....

The next rude awakening came when I noticed that my boys were FASCINATED with their own penises. I am aware that all MEN are fascinated but I thought that that was a puberty and after thing. I didn't know I was going to have to talk about penises daily with my toddlers then discuss ball sacks and scrotum's with my tweens. I mean the fun NEVER ends. I tried telling them that NO ONE was ever going to love their penis as much as they do but they clearly don't believe me...I am not a part of the penis brotherhood so how could I possibly know?

I have continued to attempt to raise superior males but I am beginning to think that some of this guy stuff is just hard wired in. The obsessive need to control the remote, the desire to blow things up ( or at least pretend to), and last but not least the need for the BIGGEST TV in town.

The above picture is of my 8 year old. We went to SEARS for a part for my dishwasher and the boys asked if they could look around. This is where I found the two of them. This is a 62" TV. The other one had found a 70" TV. They both felt that we NEEDED a larger TV. Why? I am not really clear. I asked the husband and was told "It's a guy thing." I hear that A LOT.

"Its a guy thing" means don't ask. You could never understand because you are not part of the penis brotherhood. I haven't given up, but I think I am losing the battle.
*****************************************************************************
If you like this blog please click on the Top Mommy Blogs button at the top of this page to vote for us.
Thanks!

Comments

  1. Hey! Found you on VoiceBoks. This post is SO FUNNY! I tried to do the same thing with my boys! My husband asked why I dont teach them to stand up to pee, and I said that I would NOT teach them such a ridiculous social construct. If he wanted them to pee standing up, he could do it himself....unfortunately (fortunately?) the boys want to be like their dad and pee standing up..i had no part in teaching them..the youngest did it all his own because he wanted to be like older brother. *sigh*...and another one bites the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The explosions look bigger on a bigger screen. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I have just one little boy and I have yet to go through this! Very excited though! I believe it IS a real blessing to have boys! Wouldn't mind another!
    Thank you for this great post!
    Have a great weekend!
    Lexie Lane
    www.voiceboks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following you from the Get Wired Hop...sorry I'm late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel, You are the first person to give me a logical reason for the bigger screens. THANK YOU! This I can understand...sort of. :)
    Carmen, I am glad I am not the only one to have "failed" at this experiment.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 15 yo boy, which I raised on my own from the time he was 6 months old... I trained him to do his own laundry and clean up after himself, but something happened when he hit puberty... I guess pleasing mom isn't on his radar... He used to sit to pee until my brother saw it, I guess to get your man card you have to prove you have arial aim!??!

    Following from VB, follow me to if you like...

    blog: http://teamepton.com
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/teamepton
    tw: http://www.twitter.com/hopeepton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny post. I think sitting in pee happens is some sort of cosmic joke. I grew up with a house full of boys and then had a boy myself. I found you on Bloggy Moms.

    http://www.ourbananamoments.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ourbananamoments

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I have just the opposite: two girls. And my girls are GIRLY girls. Be thankful you don't have to listen to Belle and Ariel every second of every minute of every hour of every day. ha! Boys love their mamas! http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I think boys are hardwired. When my son was little, I refused to buy him a toy gun, so what do you think he did? Ran around pointing a stick and saying Pow! Pow!

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very funny post, mate. I love a laugh. It sets the tone for my day. I have been following you for a while.


    Margot’s Magic Carpet
    Books With a WOW Factor
    http://perfectmagiccarpet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from the Monday Hop to say hello and follow.
    Join me tomorrow for Deal Seeking Tuesday!

    Have a great week!
    POSH
    http://poshonabudget.com/2011/06/monday-hops.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a mom of four sons, I can tell you that you better watch out because before long, you're going to be just like them in that you'll start to get it. Case in point, my son was telling me that he farted in bed and it stunk so much, it made his pregant wife throw up.
    I found this funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for following my blog from VoiceBoks. I've returned the favor! Looking forward to seeing you back in my blog sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I think everything is hard-wired. I have one of each and you can tell that some things just come from being a boy or girl. And boy are we different!(sexes, I mean). Thanks for stopping by the S&R weekend hop!!! Have a great week,
    Michelle
    Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL ~ Having taught developmental psychology on the college level and having a son and 2 stepsons ~ the research jury is still out on which is more influential on a child's development ~ Suffice it to say it is both genetic and environmental ~ and as you say Some things are just 'hardwired' ~ LOL ~ I am still laughing ~ Great blog ~ Love your Rosie the Riveter also ~ Keep up the great work ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment