Fashion Friday

The Road to Recovery

It is very apparent that in my industry, and in the fashion world in general that a certain item, whether it be your favorite sun glasses or the perfect pair of jeans, just make us feel extremely good about ourselves.  But sometimes an event comes along in life that really throws us a curve ball, knocking us off kilter and making us start all over again when it comes to not only fashion, but life in general.
A couple of years back, my mother was diagnosed with multiple types of cancer, she was first hit with kidney cancer, twice, and then a couple of years later had a fight with ovarian cancer.  She was in and out of the hospital constantly.  As her weight  fluctuated she joked that she was in a perpetual state of muumuus.  Another less severe form of this is what many mothers go through, which is the “baby weight”. And the I get vomited on all day I don't need to "dress up" feeling when your children are small.  Thinking about these things, prompted me to write about how to help those who have to take a break from fashion.  So the question is, when our body is going through so many physical changes, what are the little things we can do to make ourselves feel better?
Since, the majority of my knowledge remains in the fashion industry, I’ll let you in on some helpful tips to get you back on track to looking fabulous on the road to recovery.  After all it is the little things in life, isn’t it?
Statement items are the best way to make yourself feel and look great, when maybe all you can wear is a pair of sweat pants and a sweat shirt.  Or if you are just out of the hospital and the only thing that feels comfortable is a muumuu.  By re-building your wardrobe with these statement pieces you can integrate them back into your wardrobe when you’re ready to.

The Purse
            The purse is a great way to bring a little fashion back into your life.  Not only does it have a functional purpose, but serves as a decorative piece that is size-less.  Whether you are a size zero or a size sixteen, a purse will always fit.  My mother opted for a purse that normally had multiple compartments, she had a lot of medication to carry around with her, and she is an extremely active woman who hates to stay in, even when she was recovering.  Find the perfect purse that screams, “YOU!”  And this can be your go to item to use as a pick me up. You can spend a little more on a purse as you wear it every day and a good one will last for years.

Sunglasses
            Your favorite pair of sunglasses does not have to be some extremely expensive pair that cost you an arm and a leg.  One of my favorite pair that I own only cost me 7 dollars!  Find a pair you like and that make you feel FABULOUS! The great thing about sunglasses is that they match with EVERYTHING.  They always fit, and again, have a great functional use, just make sure they are UV A/B protected. Gott protect those peepers

The Watch
            Another fashion favorite of mine is the watch. Of all the one size fits all items, these usually cost the most.  There were days where mom would just be wearing a pair of sweats, or a muumuu to go out to lunch.  But I remember a day in particular when we were eating at a restaurant, and the waitress complimented my mother’s watch. This put a smile on her face. A smile is your best accessory.  But remember to look for a watch that you love, and that is good quality.  Or one that just makes you smile when you wear it. A good watch should last you well over 5 years.

Jewelry
            Last but not least, one of my favorite statement pieces is jewelry.  But I’m not just talking about new jewelry. Sometimes the oldest ring,  passed down from a special aunt or grandmother, or that necklace that your mother used to wear, can make great statement piece.  Ring sizes hardly change, and necklaces always fit.  Don’t be afraid, to throw on your favorite pair of earrings when going to dinner.  Or that beautiful bracelet you like to wear out to lunch. Even if you ae still in your sweats or mumuu's. You don't have to change everything all at once. Add a little something to make you feel pretty or special and you will start to want to dress up more.

Once my mother started to feel better, and fit back into her old wardrobe,she was able to optimize the statement pieces with her favorite blouse or slacks.  But even before she could wear her smaller sized wardrobe  she could still throw on her favorite ring, or the sunglasses we bought her for her birthday, and FEEL pretty and special.  And it isn't about looking like a fashionista in recovery; it is about how those pieces  made her feel while she had them on.  So remember, although fashion may be this never ending cycle of trends and colors, style never fades, and confidence is ALWAYS the best accessory.

So go get your Fabulous on...Brandon Sapin
*************************************************************************************
Remember if you like my blog please vote for us by clicking on the brown Top Mommy Blogs button at the of this page. Thank you.
           

Comments

  1. Well written post on fashion..:)

    Btw, stopping from VB to say Hi.

    http://www.princessliya.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for accessories! I have a confession to make. I found a pair of aviators under the bed of a hotel I stayed in recently. I love them and I wear them all of the time. I even tossed my other sunglasses.
    http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following from The Reasonably Less Blog Hop (RLBH)!!!
    Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post!!! I love the story of how your mom used accesiories to make her feel a little bit better, great advice!!!! Thanks! Great to catch up with you via VoiceBoks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great advice!
    Cheers from Voiceboks,
    Courtney
    http://www.mommyladyclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a big long comment on this yesterday and it's not here! Ugh, the computer ate it!

    Anyway, love, love, love this!! I am taking each and every part of it to heart (I need to so bad it's not funny). I'm starting with the purse, then the mascara, then moving to all this.

    You are THE BEST! I love Fashion Fridays! I'm gonna stop being frumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your post. I'm coping with some extra weight I recently put on due to life issues. I have definitely focused more on accessories and it's like a new lease on life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I won't even talk about weight ha It's been my enemy forever and worse know with health issues and such =/ Anyway I like your post because sometimes we all need a pick me up even if we don't feel to good about ourselves!

    I have a ton of jewelry and I make jewelry but you know I hardly ever wear it because I'm not dressed up or anything. But it is true jewelry can make you feel good! =) I just have in my head to reserve it for dress up or when I'm having a good feeling day but it can be for every day! =)

    thanks for stopping by our blog! =) New GFC follower =) From MBC! =)

    Arizona Girls
    Arizona Girls Face Book
    Arizona Girls blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! New follower from Monday Hop! I would love for you to stop by http://aboutamom.com to say hi & return follow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pics of all those sunglasses! they are all really pretty! CrazyCasey (lol) checking in, reporting for duty for the Alexa Drop Hop on A Measuring Flower's Alexa hop! Please stop by & visit me too, my blog is Locomotion of Expressions. I have 19 LOW ENTRY giveaways (on my right sidebar in my archives) for A Wild Soccer Bunch, Vedette, {eter Rabbit Organics, FreckleBox, Boon, TieBuddies, Advertising (6 mo on my blog), KidStrong healthy hydration drinks, PiggyToes Press (kid's) William & Kate book, Top Trainers DVD set, Perfect Energy supplements, Canvases, PowerCapes, HairMAX Set, Evora + probiotics, Monkey Butt, Certain Dri, and StopPain .. *phew* (LOL!) I just realized how much that is. Ha! Anyways, try your luck, you never know you might win. Also, I do have a linky that changes the first wed of every month.
    http://1caseycolette.blogspot.com/2011/06/wicked-wednesday-gathering-linky.html

    If you want to add it's button (the grab me for it is above the actual linky list itself..) or link to a linky list (If you have a linky compilation, I mean!) OR if you want to add some giveaways of your own to it.
    Sorry this is such a long ramble! (If your still with me) Thanks for the time and consideration. Most importantly, try to comment back. See ya sooner & later in the great big blogosphere! Thanks again! ~XO~ CaseyColette
    Oh yeah, and new gfc follower GKBCCB ! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment