Welcome to the Morgue

We have been having a hot spell here in Southern California. Traditionally, August, September and sometimes October are our HOT months. So, when my girlfriend Gary called me and asked if he could make a really strange request, I said "Of course." Then he proceeded to tell me that his 65 year old tortoise had passed away and could he store the body in my freezer until the weekend so that he could bury it then. I was speechless. I have a HUGE upright freezer. The freezer is so big that many of my neighbors freeze stuff in there too. But I had never put a body in my freezer before. I knew that with the heat, if he did not freeze it the tortoise would begin to stink before he could bury it. I also knew that my freezer was pretty full. So I told Gary that I had to call him back once the children went to bed and that I would move stuff around in the freezer so we could freeze the tortoise. If you haven't been reading my blog, Gary is a big, tough, retired crime scene investigator. He is also a big softie when it comes to animals. My husband once explained it to me this way. "When you have seen what one human can do to another, sometimes just because they felt like it, you begin to think that only animals are worthy of compassion." I know that Gary has seen the worst mankind has to offer and I know that he was pretty saddened by the death of his tortoise. So while the kids took their showers before bed, I went out into the garage to clear a spot for a dead tortoise in my freezer. When the kids went to bed, I called Gary and told him that the Morgue was open for business and I went out to the garage to wait for  him.  After about 5 minutes I saw him coming down the side walk with a leash in one hand and a grocery bag in the other. I am not sure what I thought he tortoise would be in but it struck me as funny that he was carrying the dead tortoise in a grocery bag like it was the poop bag from walking his dog. I stifled my smile and he handed me the bag which I gently placed on a shelf in the freezer. I then closed the door and asked him to call me when he wanted to come pick it up. He talked to me for about 15 min. I think he felt somehow guilty for leaving the dead tortoise, then he took his dog and headed back to his house.

So this week has been the week of death talk. I started it with my haunted piano story, Gman kept it up by publishing that beautiful tribute to his friend who died too soon, and now me again  with the dead tortoise. I really apologize because We are not usually morbid people but with the10th anniversary of 9/11 on the horizon ( and yeah I am writing about that too) I guess we are all feeling just a little somber. The blogging community has also gotten together to write about 9/11 ( you can read that here).  I promise that after BLOG O RAMA we will go back to making you laugh and telling poop, penis and barf stories that we are famous for.

On 9/12 we begin BLOG O RAMA! We are giving away $150 prize package here at the ARMY and there will be links to over 100 other blogs each doing a give away too. So Check back and enter to win! The kids are all back in school so it is time for Mommy to get a little something for herself.
*****************************************************************************
Please vote for me by clicking the brown Top Mommy Blogs Banner at the top of this page. Thanks

Comments