Is ANYONE Paying Attention Out There?

Imagine yourself inside your friendly neighborhood Target Store. In your minds eye see the RED walls the RED shopping carts, the employees all in their RED shirts and the the RED Target Logo. See a pattern here? Red is such a part of the Target Logo that when I was asked to participate as a outside vendor in an instore booth for Target, Target INSISTED that we all wear blue shirts with our company name embroidered on the breast so we could not be "mistaken for Target employees". Sound reasonable right? WRONG. What Target management failed to realize was that 80% of all people do not pay attention to their surroundings. So for the last 6 weeks I have been standing inside of a RED walled store in a Blue shirt answering a the quesiton 100 times a day of "Where is the bathroom?" Now I am a pretty charming person, I usually try to make people feel a little better about the mistakes they make, but how can you nicely say 100 times a day " CAN YOU NOT SEE THE BIG RED SIGN ABOVE MY HEAD THAT SAYS RESTROOMS?" "CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT I AM WEARING A BLUE SHIRT?"

I get on the boys all the time about focusing on what they are doing. Just pay attention and you will avoid 90% of all problems. I must be the lone voice in the desert. I am guessing that there is no Mom ANYWHERE else in the United States of America saying these things because when people go to Target they ask the lady in the BLUE SHIRT where the bathroom is when they are standing right in front of it. They ask the lady in the blue shirt what isle the electronics are on. REALLY people?

One day when I was having lunch with Agent Daddy and I had answered the bathroom question one too many times I said to Agent Daddy " What color shirt am I wearing?" he knows that when I start off with simple questions an rant is comming. He had already started to smile answering " Blue, honey."
"And what color is the shopping cart at Target?"

"Red" He answers the smile is in his eyes now.

" And the people in Target, the walls in target, What color all all of those?"
" Red."
" Then Why on God's green earth do people keep asking me where the bathroom is?"

At this point he is trying not to laugh. He knows I am seriously puzzled. " Sweetie, when I worked at Disneyland every day someone would ask me 'What time are the 9 o'clock fire works? Or where is the bathroom? Is that the closest one?' I realized then that people do not think before they speak nor do they pay attention. I mean really, do you think that Disney employees tell a guest the farthest bathroom? Or that  Disney spends thousands of dollars each year to publish the wrong time for the fireworks display? Just be happy that they all seem to be aware that you are a person with answers."

Agent Daddy always the voice of wisdom. But I still don't get how people can miss the big RED freaking sign over their heads reading RESTROOMS. Just pay attention. Now if I can only get Tech Monkey and Airborne to do that too.



FA LA LA LA LA and all that JAZZ


Comments

  1. The simple answer seems that with red everywhere, the bathroom sign, if also red, will get lost. they should make it in green.
    You should make a sign for your shirt that says "there's a special prize for you if you find the bathroom without asking me".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is the best suggestion so far! Too bad I won't be back. I didn't want to write about the store until I was done with the instore so I couldn't get kicked out.LOL Thanks for always being my other voice of reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like ths was really making you see red....oooh, bad one I know, but couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment