To Tattoo or Not to Tattoo That is the Question

This past week we have had many discussions involving tattoo's around the house. It all started when Mr Gary, the retired CSI neighbor, picked up Airborne after school for me. Mr Gary is a life saver and took my nine year old, Airborne, to "run errands" with him until Agent Daddy could pick him up. I was off watching the Tech Monkey compete in his last Debate for the semester.

Anyway...Mr Gary took Airborne to Sam's Club, where they had some pictures printed and got a hot dog. (Hot Dogs are one of the few "approved" foods that Airborne will eat.) Then they went to Lowe's. About this time you are probably wondering if they got duct tape and garbage bags from Lowe's for disposing of a body. I mean you've got to wonder, when a retired CSI is at the hardware store if there is body disposal going on. But no Mr Gary was looking for some normal everyday hardware on this day. No body disposal that I could tell. I checked under Airborne's finger nails for dirt from a grave site and there was none so I am satisfied.

Next they went to the Tattoo Parlor. TATTOO PARLOR? With a nine year old? But it was all perfectly normal. Mr Gary's son is a tattoo artist and Mr Gary was picking up his granddog to babysit too. Mr Gary's granddog is a french bull dog named Luna. According to Airborne, Luna likes Mr Gary more than he likes the tattoo parlor because Luna ran out the door to Mr Gary as soon as the door was opened. Luna got to have the last few bites of Airbornes hot dog which made them best friends and they went happily home to Mr Gary's to wait for Agent Daddy to come pick up Airborne.

So here is the text I received from Agent Daddy at about 6pm. "Airborne is fine. He had quite an adventure with Mr Gary. They went to Sam's and , no joke,  the tattoo parlor."

So I write back, "Did he take him to the titty bar and buy him a Jack Daniels to go with his new tattoo?"

Agent Daddy's response " Nah, Mr Gary didn't have a coupon."

This of course made me burst out laughing in the middle of Techie's debate round. Not making me a friend of anyone.

So about now you are thinking "What is the freaking point of all of this?"

The point, my friends, is that getting a tattoo has now been the topic of conversation around our house for almost a week. Now I am not a prude. My brother has several tattoos, Gman has ALOT of tattoo's, Agent Daddy's cousin is a tattoo artist and Agent Daddy's cousin's wife is fully sleeved and armored.  I personally can't commit to a hair color so I don't think tattoos are for me. I also have this thing about not having any " identifying marks" in case I need to go on the lamb someday. But the idea that some day my little babies may make the decision to get inked is something that I can't quite get excited about. It is one of those totally personal decisions that, as they get older, I have to stand back and watch them make. The whole going to the tattoo parlor made me think about how fast they are growing up and what will I say to them when they tell me they want to get a tattoo or pierce their ears or any number of other crazy things they might decide to do. I have no answers as of yet but I thought I would get your take on the tattoo thing since so many of you have kids that are older than mine. Please let me know if you have thought about this or dealt with this, and how you did it. I am courious and filled with dread all at the same time.



Comments

  1. Tatts arent for me. Although I can wear the same pair of jeans and same tshirt everyday for infinity, I don't like the idea of something permanent.
    My kids LOVE fake tatoos, I hope they are getting them out of their system. Maybe they will have really good fake ones when they are older so they can constantly change them. But I really hope they don't get them. Especially, just out drinking in college and wake up with a stupid tatt. No fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest has 2 tattoos. I really didn't want him to get them (I just hate to think of his perfect skin being marked up for life), but since he joined the Marine Corps and is willing to die for his country, how can I tell him not to get a tattoo? I guess I just think of it like that. He's a grown man now, and I have to respect his decisions, even if I don't agree with them. Now, if he starts to get too many or suddenly decides facial piercings are cool, mama is going to have something to say about it. But as a man and a Marine who is independently living on his own, supporting himself and his wife, I think I can let him make that decision and have tattoos that are hidden by clothing, know what I mean?

    I have a tattoo. It's a very small one on my lower back that I got with a friend during a very bad time in my life. I wish I didn't have it, but I can live with it lol. I actually forget about it until one of my kids see it and say something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UH Thanks Richard but the shirt and jeans might be TMI lol. I am afraid that they will get a tattoo when they are drunk or feeling crazy and regret it later but I also know that we learn the most from our mistakes. I have to let them fall down and get up or they will never be able to care for themselves.

    Christina- I knew you would have wisdom in this area. I can always count on you. Its hard to let them go be the person you raised them to be, though isn't it? A tattoo that has incredible meaning that they will never regret I can't really be sad about. But a tattoo that says spring break 2020...not so sure about that. LOL

    Thanks for all the super advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No coupon, LOL!

    The oldest, our Navy son? he got tats last year. One is a HUGE freaking cross on his side that his friend drew before he died in an accident in Africa. So even though it's as big as the Titanic, I get it.

    What I didn't get was when he and his BFF, who is an Army Ranger, were on leave at the same time and both got tats high up on their thigh, so you can't see it unless their naked or have on whitie tighties, that has a pic of a male doing a female doggie style. There's an arrow pointing to the male that says, "me" and an arrow to the female that says, "your mama."

    Oh yeah, me and BFF's mom were like....Uh WTF?!!!!

    It's hard as a mommy to watch my grown son do this to his body, but I remind myself daily, they're on loan from God. I just have to do my best and hope it was enough.]

    I can't wait to meet the boys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment