What Are YOU Afraid of?

My best friend of the last 17 years is a Bad A$$ Agent. She plays with guns, kicks in doors and even used to jog with President Clinton when she was a Secret Service Agent. She is a pistol packing mama and I have only seen her really afraid once.

Many years ago when I was  like 9 months pregnant with the Tech Monkey, Agent Bad A$$ volunteered to take me to the grocery store so I could do some shopping. I waddled out to her new truck and vainly tried to climb in. When I say climb, I mean scale Mount Everest. Agent Bad A$$ is shorter than I and why she bought such a big freaking truck I will never understand. So here I was with my hugely pregnant self climbing on to the running boards and then using the hand holds to hoist myself into this giant truck. I figured that if I could get into the truck I could do anything. I need to tell you that at this point in time Agent Bad A$$ had never been pregnant. Which makes this story all the better.


We get to the grocery store with out incident and I begin happily working my way up and down the isles. As I am going along I begin having Braxton Hicks contractions. For the non moms out there this is when you have contractions that are nor really strong enough for birthing. Kind of your body "practicing" for the big day. At this point I had experienced this type of contraction before and was really not at all alarmed. I am pretty much ignoring them as I try to decide on what stuff to buy. My face begins getting flushed, I start panting a little and I am rubbing my belly as I walk. Agent Bad A$$ is pushing the cart and keeps asking me if I am all right. I keep telling her that I am but she finally says "WE are LEAVING NOW!" She is kinda like that, all authoritative. Must be the training. Agent Daddy does that sometimes too. I begin to tell her that I really need to check out and take these groceries home. We debate and she finally gives in only because she starts to think it will be the fastest way to get me out of the store and into the truck. I am kinda like that all stubborn. Must be the genes.

All during our debate the contractions are not stopping. Every 20 min or so I have about 5-10 min of contractions. So every 20 minutes Agent Bad A$$ has a coronary because I won't go home. We finnaly check out and get into the truck. Quite a feet as I explained before, and we are driving back to my place when I start having another contraciton. Agent Bad A$$ looks at me, sees that I am all red and panting and looses it. She starts yelling "You are NOT having that baby in THIS truck!" she has at this point lost all the color in her face and I can tell that the Secret Service really had not prepared her for this. Taking a bullet for the president, YES. Having your best friend give birth in your new truck? NO. I actually am trying to calm her down. She is threatening to drive me to the hospital and I am telling her I just need to go home and lay down. Needless to say, I arrived home in one piece baby still in the womb. I was forced to lay down while she unloaded and put away all the groceries and lectured me about scaring her.

We look back on this day now and laugh. But seriously, I have never seen her so afraid ever. After that day she would not allow me to ride in her truck until the baby was born. She also told Agent Daddy that I nearly had the baby in her truck. Of course I was no where near having the Tech Monkey, he was born 2 weeks later by scheduled C section, but she was freaked out.

So the moral of this story is that EVERYONE is afraid of something. EVEN Agent Bad A$$.





Comments

  1. Yeah, I pretty much loved that story! :-) Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snakes. I'm not totally afraid of them. I just don't like them nor want to be near them. So of course, my boys are starting to draw pictures of snakes and giving them to me as presents. Well played boys, well played.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to party with agent Bad *ss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara- Glad you loved the story. IT is one of my favorites too. Agent Bad A$$ told me she read the blog and it made her laugh because it is one of her favorite stories as well.

    Bob- The MIL is totally afraid of snakes too. And the boys LOVE to tease her as well.

    Sharon- ABA is WAYYY fun to party with. I like to take her to Vegas too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment