It's MY Complusion and I LIKE IT!

I am a control FREAK. I am clear about this. I have even learned to recognize when I am being irrationally controlling and apologize for my compulsion. This apology does not include wanting to stop being controlling. I am convinced that if I do not check on every little thing, multiple times that disaster will strike and I will be completely unprepared for it. This is despite the fact that I have before hand prepared for every disaster I can think of.
Example number one My Car:
I have a first aid kit, glasses repair kit, tire repair kit, four phone chargers ( two of which are for phones I no longer own but someone might need.), and a blanket in case we get caught in a snow storm ( Did I mention I live in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA?). I should probably mention here that my first aid kit includes almost every kind of over the counter medication that you can buy, sunscreen and a stitch kit. I am not licensed to do stitches on a human but if we need them I have them.

Example number two Packing:
It  does not matter that we are going to Las Vegas in the middle of summer, I insist that everyone pack one hoodie in the event that the weather "changes". I don't care the the forecast is 120 at night you NEED a hoodie. And pack three extra pair of underwear. I am not sure when I decided that three was the "magic" number but even if we are only going for two days we MUST pack three extra pair of underwear each. I must pack two extra pair of socks for each person even though the boys and Mike ALL wear the same size underwear and socks they must each have their own extras. Here is the math, four people for two day we must have 20 pairs of underwear and sixteen pair of socks. I know logically that we will NEVER need or use all of this  but I get jittery if I know that we are short on packing the extra's. I think that Agent Daddy and the boys have started packing for me to check and then re packing when I am not looking. The first time they run out of underwear I will be ready to tell them I told you so.

Example number Three Shopping:
I have an almost pathological need to over buy. I do not like to over spend but if I know I need to buy underwear for example, I can never just buy seven. One for each day. NO I have to buy ten. My logic being that I might have an accident on Friday AND Saturday and then where would I be? NO underwear because I haven't done next weeks laundry. I can not buy seven pairs of socks or seven shirts. All of these things must be bought in groups of ten. I also try to figure out how many of a food item we will need then always end up doubling that number "just in case". The worst example of my overbuying was when I was getting ready for my honeymoon. I went to the drug store to buy condoms. Condoms came in packs of three, twelve and twenty four. I bought forty- eight. Yes, you read right 48. Why? Here is my psyhco math. We were going to be gone for eight days. So three is too little. We might want to have sex more than once a day so twelve is too few as well. So I decided on the twenty four pack. But as I was going to the counter to pay I became afraid that that too was somehow too few so I bought two boxes instead of one. My maid of honor looked at the fourty eight condoms I was packing the night before my wedding and exclaimed "Either Agent Hotty ( that was his name back then) is superman or you really need to rethink your expectations."

I am aware that this behavior is not normal. But the truth is that I have no desire to change. I just tell people " I know that I am acting crazy, just let me do it anyway." Agent Daddy is probably a saint for putting up with me. the good news is he will never run out of underwear on my watch.

Comments

  1. Wow! I have finally found someone who adds the way I do! It seems so logical to me, but so crazy to everyone else. And I have never run out of anything on any trip ever! Thank you very much! Carry on, Sweetie!

    Mauntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mauntie! I knew I could count on you to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it, but maybe just a couple too many here and there...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment