The Making of a Crazy Cat Lady

It used to be that when ever I heard of someone with more than two cats I would wonder how much longer until they became a "Crazy Cat Lady." I would wonder if their family members did interventions ever three cats if that would have helped and then I met "Carrie". When I met "Carrie" she seemed like a perfectly normal human being. She had a college degree, a job and a fiancee. She also had two cats.

    Two cats no big deal right? But then she had two cats and a dog. Then she had three cats and a dog. And before long she had five cats and a dog. I thought that since the animals had all kind of showed up  on her door step that really she was just kind hearted. Now after the third cat showed up on her door step we stopped visiting with her at her home. Agent Daddy and both boys are allergic to cats but even I would feel itchy after just a few minutes inside her home. She had been a pretty good house keeper but it just seemed that there was no keeping up with the cat hair.

      Then sometime after the fifth cat I visited her in her home. I was shocked to see her home look like a hoarder house. You had to kind of walk around stuff to get from room to room. It was pretty scary and so I have not been back. I learned though the grape vine that her dog died. I thought well at least now she only has 4 pets that is a start maybe she can get back on track now. But no she went right out with in days and bought a new dog. I was horrified. How could you go out and make your situation worse? Then as the cats got old and died she started to get more to replace them. I was freaked out. I love animals but you have to be able to care for them and yourself.

One night I was flicking though the channels and I saw "Animal Hoarders". I was shocked by a woman with 100 cats. they found cats dead and mummified in her house because she didn't know where they had gotten to. The adult children of this woman said " I don't know how it got this bad." But I knew. I remembered "Carrie" my very own "Crazy Cat Lady".

If you know someone who is hoarding pets stage an intervention now. I beg you, friend help their friends say "NO!" to becoming a "Crazy Cat Lady".

Comments

  1. I always wonder if the pull is that they love the initial puppy/kitten stage, once they grow up they have to get another. I have seen the hoarder shows and it is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word I have never heard of a pet hoarder. That is horrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super SCARY! And I love animals and that is really bad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa I agree with you. I think it is the nurturer feeling that we get with a puppy/kitten. I have vowed never to have a puppy again. I only adopt rescue pets. Preferably older ones. They are house broken and I have had such great experiences that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who always jokes she'll be a cat lady, and I have always laughed. Now her cat had kittens and she has five cats in the house...and she thinks they're too cute to get rid of, so...maybe she WILL be a cat lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yikes! i didnt even know there was a sort of animal hoarder! that is terrible - for both the person and the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosey, remember friends tell friends NO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I've never heard of a pet hoarder, although my husband would love to become one. He really doesn't see how having a lot pets can do this, but I'm the one that has to deal with all the house cleaning. I can't stand it. He's lucky I'm barely managing the one cat....when it comes to more pets...this mamma just says NO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Amber! No=Love. At least in this case.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is actually quite disturbing... I can only imagine how gross these homes are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle... As disturbing as this all may seem to us, we have to remember that "something" must have happened as a trigger to make them do what they do. Whether it was the loss of a marriage/relationship, a death or something... but something happened for these people to feel that they need to love or feel that unconditional love themselves. I am not saying that I do not agree with you, because I do.. but there is psychology behind this 100% I hope it never happens to me!! ;) Grace, peace and blessings, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mommy's juice- it really is disturbing.
    Carla- you are absolutely correct. Something did happen. I can't divulge it here but before any one realized she was not coping she had spiraled out of control. We've tried interventions but until she is willing to deal with the pain cannot heal and get better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a cat person at all! 1 cat is too many for my liking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment