Are you SURE About This?

As those of you who read this blog regularly know, Agent Daddy and I have been married almost 18 years. The dating scene of today is something I was wholly unfamiliar with until  several of my friends got divorced. Then all of the sudden I was hearing about match.com, plenty of fish, match makers and, of all things, speed dating. I had never heard if speed dating before . I thought maybe it involved fast cars and faster women but no.

A speeddate is where you go to a local establishment and meet up with other singles and have a series of 15 minute mini dates to see if you want to have a real date with any of them.  What can you really find out about a person in 15 minutes? I imagine for me it would go something like this:

 Me: "Hello, Nice to meet you. May I ask you a few questions?"
Him: "Yes of course."
Me:" Great, first of all have you ever been convicted of a felony? How many children do you have? And by how many women? What is your credit score? Have you ever filed for bankruptcy? What do you do for a living? Hold still while I take a vile of your blood to check for any STD's."

You think I am joking but I am not. I was a tough cookie when I was out there dating and I am worse now. I like to know all about a person before I go ALONE with them anywhere.  And really if you only have 15 minutes you gotta get down to brass tac's right away.

Can you imagine if businesses did your first interview like this. Five executives and fifteen candidates. You sit down  and start the interview only to have a bell ring and you must move on to the next executive. All the while you can see the previous executive interviewing the next candidate. It would make me a wreck. I wouldn't be able to concentrate for wondering what was going on at the next table.

Really ladies, if you are back on the market, try joining a group that has the same interests as you. Or ask your friends. It is scary out there. The whole online dating thing allows people to pretend they are different or better than they really are. I am not saying that it never works, I am just saying be REALLY careful.

But more than than, remember that you deserve to be loved and appreciated. Anyone who doesn't treat you with respect at all times is probably not right for you.


Comments