Grandpa's Underwear

Several years ago my father in law had a stroke. As a consequence of that stroke he was bed ridden, had to be fed through a tube and ultimately passed away after a two year struggle. That was four years ago in January. I tell you that story so I can tell you this story.

As most women do, my mother in law often shopped for her husbands clothing, underwear, socks etc. When ever she thought his underwear or socks were getting ragged. She would just go out an buy a couple of packs of new for him. She did this right before he had his stroke. So these new garments sat in a bag for about three years. It was probably 18 months after my father in law passed that my mother in law began to go though his things and donate clothes and give to my husband and boys things she thought they would want or could use.



The strangest of those things were Grandpa's underwear. Not that Grandpa had ever worn them but they were still his and my hubby accepted them from his mom then put them in a drawer unused. I asked him about why he wasn't wearing the underwear and he told me it made him feel weird to think of wearing his dead fathers underwear. As you all know I am CHEAP. The idea of brand new un-used underwear laying in Agent daddy's drawer un-used seems wasteful some how to me. Remember this stuff is still in the bag. So after about a year of them laying in the bottom of the drawer I gave them to the Tech Monkey.

I did not tell him where they came from. He has been trained that new underwear and socks magically appear on his bed around the time that the old ones are too small or worn out so he never questioned me as to what the deal was with these underwear. My father in law was a man of slight build and so the underwear are just about Tech Monkey's size.

I sometimes feel guilty when I see his underwear hanging out of his pants. I mean what he doesn't know won't hurt him right? Has anyone one has ever gone to therapy because their mom made them wear their dead grandpas underwear? Lets hope he never finds out....SHHH

Comments

  1. I feel so much better about happily taking the unopened packages of boxers after my grandfather passed after reading this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment