The Dead Guy- Chapter 8

I was not home five minutes when my cell phone began to ring. I looked at phone and saw it was Drew. I hesitated answering the phone feeling almost guilty about my earlier kiss from Officer Yum...er Thad. The internal conversation was something like this..."He knows, He can't know, besides I am a single woman. There was nothing wrong with me being kissed, He is not going to feel that way. Well I didn't feel that way about him boffing Suzanne Richmond. See how he likes it."  I picked up the phone.
"Hello?" I answered

"Is there anything you would like to tell me?" Drew asked. He knows.
"Could you be more specific?" I evaded. I had learned how to evade from being married to a lawyer. Him.
" How was your afternoon? Did you do anything interesting?" He questioned again.
"The police released my house so the boys and I can go back home." I answered trying to sound innocent. I may have even batted my eyes, but over the phone it doesn't have quite the impact it does in person.
"Really? That's it? Nothing else happened ALL day?" He sounded a little incredulous.
"Not really." I maintained.
"You know your mother called me." I could hear the the accusation in his voice. I took a deep breath. I knew this wouldn't be good.
"Really?" I tried to sound like this was an everyday occurrence.
"Seems, Marie Wilson told her that Sarah Thompson had heard from Jessica Taylor that Mrs Kingston saw you, my wife,  laying in a bed on Main Street. And that you then proceeded to make out with one of the men when the other man left. Do you think you could explain, why Mrs Kingston is having this hallucinations?"
"Ex wife" I said. I needed time to collect my thoughts. I could tell Drew was in cross examination mode.
"Should we call someone to take Mrs Kingston to a psych ward?" He asked
"Well. I think the story was twisted around a little in the telling." I answered.
"So you were in a bed with two men but you were not making out with one of them? You are going to go with that?" He asked sarcastically. I wasn't even sure where to begin.
" Look, not that it is any of your or Mrs Kingston or the whole towns business, but I bought a bed today. To replace the one I found a dead guy in. Remember that?" I was getting my hackles up. I had done nothing wrong. Now if I could just convince the whole town that I wasn't running a brothel on Main Street I would be good. damn Mrs Kingston and her gossiping.
"What does buying a bed have to do with any of this?" Drew sounded like he had whiplash from trying to keep up with where I was going  in this conversation.
"That is what Mrs. Kingston saw. I wasn't on the street, I was in the store on Main Street. Buying a bed."
"And the two men? They were just made up?" He continued his cross examination. I could tell he thought I was a hostile witness. Maybe I was.
"Not exactly." I evaded again.
"How "not exactly"?" He asked.
"Well, Thad took me to the store to get the new bed. And Brad, he works at the store.  I wanted to be sure there would be enough room and still be comfortable when the boys watched TV with me in my bed. So I had them try it out with me." I was trying to sound reasonable. Hopefully Drew would forget the part about making out with Thad.
"So Thad and Brad, got into bed with you inside a store and Mrs Kingston just happened to be shopping at the same store for a bed too?"
"The bed was in the front window."
"So you decided to put on a show by making out in a bed in the window? Which one was it Thad or Brad?"
"Which one was it what?"
"Which one did you make out with in the window on the bed on Main Street?" Drew was like a dog with a bone. Damn I was hoping I had gotten around that question.
"I was not making out." I said with a pout. Not that wouldn't have liked to make out I thought. Then gave my self a mental slap. Lets focus on the problem at hand not fantisize about all the other problems I can cause.
"So Mrs Kingston made that part up?" He questioned
"No. Thad did kiss me. But it was brief. We weren't "making out" geeze."
"So does this Thad guy know you are married? How did you meet him. How long as this been going on this Thad and you kissing in the street?"
"I am not married. I am DIVORCED. Remember your little shenanigans with Suzanne  Richmond." Now I was getting angry.
"I have told you a thousand times I did not have an affair with Suzanne Richmond."
"So maybe she needs to go to the Psych ward. Because when she came to my office crying about how I wouldn't give you a divorce, she seemed pretty convinced that you were having an affair with her."
"Look" He said on a sigh. "I let you divorce me because I thought it would help you get over your anger. You wouldn't listen then and you still are not listening. I. Love. You. I love our boys and I love the life we had. When are you going to listen and believe me?" He finished pleading.
"I don't know. You broke my heart. I don't know if I can ever get past this." I finished shaking my head.
"So now you are dating someone new?" He asked sounding defeated.
"I went to lunch. One time. And yes he kissed me and yes I liked it. Not that it is any of you business because we are divorced."
"Don't I know it." Drew said.
I didn't say anything. The silence dragged on. Finally Drew said "Did you want to come by tonight to get your things?"
I didn't say anything.
"We could have dinner. Maybe without the twins?" He sounded hopeful.
"Let me think about it." The problem with  Drew and I was  that we were both passionate people. After a fight we used to have crazy makeup sex. I knew I was thinking about that. I was sure he was too. I was also sure that I did not want to be alone with him when there was a chance he could persuade me to "make up".

To catch up on the other chapters you may have missed click HERE

Comments

  1. I am here for the hop, I am following you know.

    http://orinsinsights.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a topic that is close to my heart... Many thanks!
    Where are your contact details though?

    Have a look at my webpage - rolexコピー

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment