They Call Me...Debbie

When Agent Daddy and I began dating, 22 years ago, 90% of his family began calling me Debbie.  Why do they call me Debbie? Because Agent Daddy's family had primarily Black/Brown hair. I, and one other woman in the family, have blonde hair. Can you guess the name of the other Blonde? That's right...Debbie. Agent Daddy has about 100 cousins, Aunts,  Uncles, Great Aunts, Great Uncles, Grandparents etc on that side of the family.

For two years while we dated they called me Debbie. When Agent Daddy and I got engaged about half of them decided to learn my name. Which is not Debbie. When we got married a year later I would say about
65% had learned my name. There is an awkward moment on our wedding video where one of his relatives struggles valiantly to remember ANY name for me, then gives up and just continues with his /her statement. That moment goes kinda like this: " I want to wish Agent Hot Stuff and...(silence), ah...., the best most wonderful married life possible."

It is actually funny that after 3 years they couldn't even come up with Debbie. I mean really, would  "his beautiful bride" been so bad if he/she couldn't remember my name? But no I am just a silent awkward pause in the sands of time. For years people in the family have called me Debbie. Agent Daddy gave up correcting them about 10 years ago.

Then, the other day, Agent Daddy and I are getting ready to attend a family baptismal. I ask Agent Daddy for his number and he says "Three". The Tech monkey asks "Three What?" So I explain to him that Agent Daddy and I always lay a friendly bet on how many people will still call me Debbie. The Tech Monkey is sure that this has NEVER happened.  He argues with his father and I.  I say "Just wait. At least one person will call me Debbie."

So we go to the baptismal and we are at the reception afterwards. We have been there maybe 15 minutes when one of Agent Daddy's cousins calls me Debbie. But this time the Tech Monkey AND Airborne are there as well as Agent Daddy to witness it. In all fairness his cousin realizes her mistake and corrects herself but I am vindicated.

The two boys then begin to call me Debbie at home the next day because they think this is so funny. When I don't react they come up with the name Homey G. I have no idea where that came from but at least it's not Debbie.


*******************************************************************************
If you enjoyed this Blog please click on the Top Mommy Blogs button  at the top right side of this page to vote for us!

Comments