Back to School Forms

I am no longer allowed to fill out the back to school forms that the school sends  home with my children by the millions. How did I manage to get myself banned from filling out all important school documents? Well let me tell you a story...

When the Tech Monkey started school, Agent Daddy, proudly filled out all the forms for his son to start school. He was over joyed that he had a kid in school. His progeny, preparing to take on the world...or some such crap. The next year it was left to mom, and the next year, and the next year. So when the Tech Monkey AND Airborne came home with paper work I waited for Agent Daddy to come home and help. He filled out Techies' paperwork and I filled out Airborne's. The paper work asked
crazy questions like what is your child's nationality. Well American isn't a choice. Agent Daddy was born in the Philippines. I was born in Italy. We are both US citizens and the children were born in the US. So they want you to choose a side. I checked other. I wrote in Italipinacan. Under language spoken in the home I wrote taglish. Airborne was enrolled in English as a second language courses. The school got extra funds for an English as a Second Language student. The ESL teacher, who knows our family and knows we speak English in the home, cornered me on Back to School night and questioned how in the world Airborne ended up in ESL classes.

Agent Daddy was FAR from pleased. Airborne had to take a test at the beginning and end of Kindergarten and First Grade to prove he was English fluent. He received a beautiful certificate of completion at the end of First Grade. Letting us know that he was now fluent in English. That same year he also received an award for having the largest vocabulary ( in English) in his class. After that first year I was banned from filling out important documents. I am not sad that the millions of forms are now the purview of Agent Daddy. I really couldn't have planned the outcome any better. The only down side is when we meet other parents Agent Daddy always says "Honey tell them about how you got Airborne stuck in ESl classes for two years because you thought it was funny to tell the school that the Airborne speaks taglish."



Comments