Chill at Queen Mary and Have a Winter Wonderland of Fun

I have said before and I will say again that I LOVE the Queen Mary. I loved it so much I got married on it. Long before I ever took a cruise the romance and majesty of  crossing the Atlantic on a luxury liner called to me. The sirens voice came frm the Queen herself, Queen Mary. The Queen Mary is longer than the Titanic. She is decked out in Art Deco splendor and if you have never had a meal or slept aboard you are missing out on one of the true gems of living in Southern California.

Recently the Queen has begun to host holiday parties like no other. In October they do Dark Harbor, a carnival and Haunted house like no other. Because who
else can top the Queen? In late November, the Queen does Chill.November 22 to January 3 you can take your whole family to a winter wonderland like no other.

I grew up in the snow and there is something magical about winter. Everything is covered in a blanket of white. the lights twinkle and are reflected in the snow. Dressing up in scarves and mittens. Living in Southern California we
are often surprised by colder weather. Last week we had temperatures in the 90's. But last night it was 9 degrees Fahrenheit. We stepped into a ice dream of the Nutcracker.  Ice sculptures of the Nut Cracker and the mice and sugar plums and a two story tall ice carving of the Queen that you could actually walk on to and stand on her deck to wait your turn to go down the ice slide. No woman there could resist re creating that famous scene from Titanic where Rose stands in the bow with her arms outstretched. No child could resist the ice slide. And I
must admit I could not resist it either. I felt as if I had an opportunity to share with my boys the joy of winter they way I grew up with none of the pesky snow shoveling and toe freezing. When you enter the Ice Castle the staff fits you with an incredibly warm parka with a hood. Once you step in to the fairy land of ice you know its cold but you are not uncomfortable. In a word you are ENCHANTED. the beauty of the sculptures that tell the Nut cracker story, the ice slide and the Queen in all her glory sitting in the middle is worth the price of admission.


But Chill is so much more than just the ice castle. You want to go tubing? Well head over to Glacier Glide and grab a tube. I would describe it but it was so fantastic I made a video so I could share it with you all. The first tuber is Tech Monkey and after that his brother, Airborne,  joins the fun.




There is a thirty foot tall snowman that is actually a jump house complete with tiny snowmen inside for your kids to jump and play with. Airborne loved this and may people were taken aback to see kids entering and exiting the stomach of this giant inflatable snowman. Then there is the giant rocking horse that stands 2 stories high o the snow globe you can actually get inside of and run and play in the swirling snow.

And of course there is ice skating. I mean what winter wonderland would be complete without an outdoor ice rink. If you have never skated outside under the starts you should go just to experience that alone. magical doesn't even begin to cover it. No skates? NO problem. There have the skates right there for you. Afraid to catch a chill? rent an ice cabana with its own fire to keep you warm. You can rent these out for parties or just for your families winter get away.

And if I didn't mention the food I would be really doing you a disservice. There was something for everyone there. As you know, Airborne is the pickiest eater alive. but his favorite bacon wrapped hot dogs were there. Pizza, hamburgers, corn dogs, chicken or beef Kabobs, sausages, french fries, caramel apples, deep fried Twinkies, funnel cakes, kettle corn and gelatto. I could continue on but I am making myself hungry. the portions are humongous so don't be afraid to share. The tech Monkey who has been eating me out of house



and home for about a year now, said "Mom the Food beat me." he had tried to eat everything he saw. he didn't get very far. I began to worry that he would get sick from all that he did eat but no he was fine.

Don't forget to visit the Gingerbread man's house and Santa and Mrs Claus. You know Christmas and winter would not be complete with out that.

When you go to Chill plan to stay for the whole day. Your entrance fee include
entrance to the Queen Mary herself. You can get a little culture in after all the sugar.

Chill is available for private parties as well as hosting birthdays or smaller parties using the Gingerbread man's house. If you have any questions about dates times or prices you can go to www.queenmary.com/chill

Comments