Great Food and Great Friends - New Years Dinner

Last year my girlfriend Gary decided that he could do Lawry's Prime Rib Dinner as well as they could. He invited 12 of his closest friends and we dinned on the best Prime Rib I had ever had. He worked his fingers to the bone and did all the cooking himself.

Around mid December this year I began calling Gary and begging him to recreate his fabulous dinner of the year before. he was reluctant. I promised to act as sous chef to his Master Chef. He finally agreed. I raved about his Prime Rib Dinner so much that my friends told me I HAD to blog about this dinner.




Good marbling
Here are the fine details. The Prime Rib is USDA Choice dry aged for 28 days. It should have good marbleing which will make it juicy and flavorful.

 We get it from an amazing Butcher shop called Orchards Fresh Foods in Whittier CA. On December 23rd Agent Daddy and I were in there and saw Dodgers Legend Tommy Lasorda. I guess everyone who is anyone knows that this is the place for great meat.

My girlfriend Gary, makes his dinner to match the Lawry's Prime Rib dinner. So each dinner consists of Caesar Salad, Mashed Potatoes, Creamed Corn and of Course Prime Rib.

I am a great sous chef but Gary is the Master of all Meats and I have included his instructions on making the perfect Prime Rib so you too can have a great dinner with friends, or with out,  in this New Year.

Prime Rib ready for oven
New Years Prime Rib

It is imperative that you have a good meat thermometer.

Step one bring the meat up to room temperature by placing the rack on your kitchen counter.

Step 2 seer prime rib rack by putting in oven at 450 for 15 minutes.

Mr Gary cuts rack into portions based on how.many want rare and how many want medium to well. In this case 3 ribs for rare and 4 ribs will be medium well.

Once the ribs are seered turn given down to 325 and cook till 130-135 degrees for Med and 120 degrees for rare.

Get the meat thermometer probe into the center without touching the bones.

That is it. the Prime Rib was Fabulous this year, and the Caesar Salad and mashed Potatoes that I was in charge of were not half bad either.


Comments