Oh For The Love of Roku

I am in love with my Roku. I wish that more stations, who allow you to watch their shows on the internet, would set up a Roku channel. If there was a Bravo Channel on Roku I would cancel my cable. Roku allows me to watch what I want when I want. I am not beholden to a schedule developed by strangers who do not understand my need for quality programming at 2 O' Clock in the morning. You see I have this strange insomnia where I can fall asleep but cannot stay asleep. Two O' Clock in the morning is my favorite wake up time. And frankly its watch TV or clean the house. We all know the cleaning of the house won't be happening.

Being able to watch TV in the middle of the night has led to me to developing another a bad habit. Binge watching. If you are not familiar with the term it means to sit in front of your TV, Tablet, Computer for hours on end watching whole seasons of a TV series at a time. It results in my kids being picked up late from school, dinner not being made and general messiness in my house which I have no time to clean. Binge watching is okay when everyone is asleep but when  car pool needs to get going no one cares that there is only 2 more episodes left in the series.


The Roku allows me to find TV shows that I think would be good to watch with my kids. Having a teen and a Tween, I sometimes have trouble finding things to watch with them that are wholesome, don't involve too many explosions and aren't boring. When I find these shows I can start them when ever is easiest for us. Sometimes I can even get my boys to binge watch with me. There are also a myriad of movies available on demand. This makes family movie night as easy as herding the family into the family room all at one time. No
need to return the movie, or finding out the movie you want is out of stock.

Amazon Prime helps to make the moving watching easy. And I get free shipping on many items on regular Amazon. So it is a great deal. Amazon Prime has a yearly fee associated, as do many channels, but there are thousands of channels and many of them are free. Unlike cable, with Roku you only pay for what you want to pay for. And you can set it up when ever you want. No taking off work and waiting for the cable guy to show up on his schedule, sometime between 8am and 2pm.

I think  that at some point this will be the way everyone watches TV. If you don't already have a Roku you really should look into getting one.


Comments