Healthy Alternatives for a Great Memorial Day BBQ

 Any one who know me knows I love food. And back yard BBQ's are one of my favorite summertime activities.  Agent Daddy and the Boys don't really care if it is healthy, it just better taste good.  I am trying to keep us all healthy while still feeding my inner foodie. So here are some great tips to lower the fat, while still making an AWESOME BBQ.

1. HIDE the BEEF: One of my best tricks is hiding the beef. Well really I am hiding the ground turkey in a hamburger bun. I buy the ground turkey, season it with salt, pepper, garlic and add feta cheese( you can use shredded cheddar if you like)  to the mixture. then I pre-make the patties. If you add some paprika to the mix it makes the turkey meat look more like hamburger. Then when time for the party rolls arounds you bring out your "gourmet" burgers and no one is the wiser. Chicken or Turkey Dogs are awesome on the grill as well.

2. Throw out the High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS). I was surprised to find that most bread products have HFCS in them. Look for a buns made with out HFCS. Natures Own is one I like particularly well. Your family won't notice but you will know that they are eating something much better for them. I also found the most Ketsup has HFCS in it as well. Read your lables. Walmart carries a Hunts 100% natural that is free of HFCS. Don't for get to check you relish. You will probably find it in there as well.

3. Bring on the Veggies- Make sure there are lots of cut veggies with hummus or salsa. Both are really good for you and low in calories. Also grill some bell peppers and onions as topping for the burgers. Your guests will be impressed.

4. Pretzel Chips- They come in a wide variety of flavors had have less fat than regular potato chips.They are also Baked NOT fried.  My favorite are the Honey Mustard, Buffalo, and Sea Sal and Pepper. Pretzel chips also hold dips better especially salsa.

But most of all, ENJOY the DAY! If you are hosting make sure to prep days in advance so the day before and the day of you can really enjoy your guests.





If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Comments